I have to be the first to admit, this post is kind of cheesy. But I thought it was a fun way to get to know me a little better as a writer, but more importantly as the person behind the screen. I have been in a relationship for 4 years and that takes a lot to keep someone around for that long (without scaring him off!) So how does he do it?
1. Food. A way to a (wo)man’s heart? Through his stomach. I am here to solidify this statement. Jared’s cooking is amazing, and I am not just saying that because he might be reading this. I am a follow the rules (and recipes) kind of girl and hope for the best that it turns out right. Jared somehow just KNOWS what goes well together and that it will taste the best. This is how my mom cooks, so it’s a very familiar, comforting thing. BUT it doesn’t stop there. He fuels my love of Taco Bell (we’ve gone healthier in the past two years and tried to opt out of Taco Bell for Chipotle). But whenever I mention a Taco Bell run, he is right there with me eating as much as I do.
2. Give me Control. Of the remote that is. I mentioned in a previous post, Romantic Ideas to Surprise Him With, that I am supreme ruler of the television with Jared and I’s relationship. He has fully accepted that if he gets to choose the music in every car ride, I get to pick the movie and tv show 90% of the time. This is our compromise. However, it’s not as bad as it sounds. I am totally willing to save Sex and the City, Gilmore Girls, and Keeping Up With the Kardashians for days at home by myself and instead watch Family Guy, The Simpsons, and Game of Thrones. As long as there is NO negotiation of The Bachelor being on the second it airs. And Jared gets that about me. It’s not entirely important that I watch TV, but it is important that we are willing to compromise and negotiate a deal that works for both of us.
3. Tell Me I am Beautiful. I first heard about the Five Love Languages from a coworker. I’ll save you the story and spare you the details, but basically there are 5 ways we, as humans, show love and perceive love. I took the test and was not entirely surprised with the results. They rank all 5 and give you a description of each. My number one is Words of Affirmation. I like to hear that I am loved. 2. Quality Time 3. Acts of Service 4. Physical Touch 5. Receiving Gifts
If you’d like to learn more about what your own love language is, check it out here.
4. Flowers. There is always something about roses that makes me swoon and melt. I love the smell of roses and am not treated to them often so they are extra special. Bonus points if they come in my favorite color.
5. Plan. If a man is willing to plan the date/day, that is almost better than the date itself. I love not having to make the entire plans and ask “what should we do or eat”. There is something awfully romantic about a man who can pull off an entire day where he makes the plans and has it all premeditated, why? Because he has taken the time to show he cares enough to go the extra step. It shows more meaning when there is thought put into the day. Trust me on this one guys, you could have a movie night at home where you cook (free, you’re welcome!) And all you must do is put in the effort for one day. It will mean more to her than an expensive night out. Trust me on this one.